Sunday, March 7, 2010

Build then Burn

Napolean really knows how to build bridges and then burn them down as fast as he can! By the time I was reading about the wood and how he was going to sell it to Pilkington and all the hoopla around the whole thing, I knew he was going to sell it to Fredrick. Then he wants Pilkington to come help them fight. Ha, like that was going to happen! And the darn animals still don't see through the little bugger (big bugger actually and getting bigger every day). Why can't the animals see that the pigs are getting fatter while they are all getting thinner. They were told that there was no money and then a big crate of whiskey shows up for the pigs-come on animals! Put the pieces together already! But they don't, and they still have hope in the end. Is that how real supressed societies think and feel? The Last Commandment is a killer. "ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS". What the heck is that! It's a contradiction.

I also thought is was interesting how Orwell wrote about the rising generation and how they did not fully comprehend how Animal Farm came to be and did not fully appreciate it but once a year at the celebration of the Rebellion. I would compare that to our own country. I think sometimes that we forget all our founding fathers did so that we can live in the country we live in and have the freedoms we have. We didn't fight for them so some of the meaning gets lost to us. We only remember it once a year on July 4th. And even then, is the holiday only about fireworks? And now, it seems that the beliefs and values that our founding fathers had are going by the wayside and our country is suffering for it. That is just my little soap box for the day, thanks for reading.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Animal Farm and Farenheit 451. Both books really helped me reflect on my life and my actions. I guess I have a question though. When those pigs confessed to being in league with Snowball and tearing down the windmill, were they lying? I think that they were but it doesn't really make sense. Why would they lie? The only reason I can think of for them to lie is that they were smart enough to realize where everything was going and they wanted out so they decieded to committ suicide by dog.

1 comment:

srf said...

The animals do see that things aren't quite fitting, like there is no money or food, but the pigs are getting whiskey and are getting fat. But they are unwilling to believe anything bad in their leaders or that their sacrifices aren't going toward their cause, so they ignore it.

As far as the confessions, that is one of my questions too. On one hand I think Orwell is referring to the practice of forced confessions by oppressive governments. Make someone publicly confess to something and then have the rest of the people watch a vicious punishment/killing - this helps maintain a level of fear, which helps the oppressive govt continue its control. But here, we don't really have enough information to know if that is what was going on. I think it could have also been what Tegan is saying - the animals are so miserable, it was a form of suicide. But I don't think anyone was actually in league with Snowball. For one thing, that is not what Snowball would have wanted. Which brings us to Karen's point - where the heck is Snowball? Was he really too scared to help try and save his friends?