Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hero, Villian, or Just a Boy?

I am interested in Jem's character. I enjoy reading about him because sometimes I like him and other times I am disgusted with him. I really wanted to write a post about how he is a bad person or a typical ego-obsessed, pushy, insecure man but I just don't think that is quite right. I think he is just a young boy trying to grow up.



I do agree with Karen that he is manipulative. But he is also manipulated by Dill and unwittingly by Scout. He is definitely insecure though. His insecurity was behind him being mean to Dill when they first met--because he is insecure, he first had to establish his superiority over Dill before he could accept him as a friend. He also seems worried over and eager to maintain Scout's hero-worship of him. Yet, Atticus does seem to be having an influence on him. I was really happy when he invited Walter to lunch and it was the exact approach I imagine Atticus would have taken to the situation. It was secure, compassionate, and dignified. Unfortunately, that was the only good thing I've seen him do in five chapters. I think this book is supposed to be about Scout growing up, but I hope we will get to see Jem just do as much growing up.

1 comment:

Tecia said...

Jem is just an older brother. I would manipulate her too. Although I don't think he is really manipulating. I think he's a good brother. He did take her aside and ask how the first day was going.