Sunday, August 24, 2008

yeah, so....

Is it just me or did it take until Chap. 4 to realize that Scout was a girl? Maybe I was a little sleepy when they mentioned that in the beginning.

Like some of you I did not like Atticus at first. On page 6 Scout says her and Jem found their father 'satisfactory' and that he treated them with 'courteous detachment. Then we learn how he handled Walter coming over for lunch. How wrong first impressions can be, or how views from others can be misleading and tainted. Here we are forming our opinions on a 6 year olds views when Atticus really is a good man. How often we do this in real life.

I think Dill is funny and Miss Caroline is dumb. I like how Lee writes, it kinda reminds me of mom. Please note at the bottom of page 5, "they ambled across the square". It's totally something mom would say. I'm just glad I knew what ambled meant.

I think you should treat people like people. Miss Caroline's problem is that she made the first day a power struggle to show that she was boss and it came back to bite her in the.. well it came back to bite her. I think we do this in life as well and that is why I mention it. There have been many lessons about real life in these 4 chapters (oh calm down!! I know the schedule says 5, but I only got to 4. Sheesh!)

I like it so far and the characters do seem interesting. Am I the only one who hasn't read this book before?

1 comment:

Tay said...

yeah, i totally didn't realize scout was a girl for a few chapters into the book. it's not just you.