Friday, February 12, 2010

Nightmares!!

I have stopped reading this book at night, and I am so afraid of the hound I may never sleep with my window open again.

This book really has me thinking.

I can't help but make comparisons between the story in the book and today. Here are a few examples.

I love books, but I also love television. The other day I was watching a show and Matti came in and started talking to me about her day and I was irritated with her. (only for a second), but it really scared me that I might be detaching from what is really important.

How many people do I know with "shells" in their ears day and night. ( I thought that part was prophetic)

The need for constant entertainment, and fun, to always increase risk ( the high speed of cars)

Throwing kids in front of the tv to keep them out our hair.

kids killing kids etc.

I look forward to finishing the story.

2 comments:

srf said...

I also think his book is somewhat prophetic, in a pretty scary way. I mean with the bigger and bigger our tvs and entertainment systems are getting, I don't have a hard time picturing 3 walls of tv (or even 4 as Millie wants) where tv is all around and seems more real.

Even the dog thing. I was talking to someone in the military and he was telling me about some sort of bullet that is programmed to dna and pretty much travels around until it finds the target - I can't quite remember but it was something like that and something that reminded me exactly of the dog in this book.

Tecia said...

I personally don't think throwing your kids in front of the TV for a bit is totally wrong...

Also, reading your other comments, I think the relationship between Millie and Montag is interesting, sad, but interesting. They don't even know how they met and there is NO relationship. Maybe a few feelings, but they aren't real. Obviously, because she turns around and jacks him.