Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WARNING--EARLY POST FOR FEB 21!!!

I just finished the book today and cannot wait to post or I will forget everything I am feeling. The book sure ended in a hurry. It all went so fast I am sure I missed something. All I remember is Montag thinking a lot of things and the city being burned to dust. How could there even be any survivors in the city? It sounded like the whole place burned in seconds. The jets were halfway around the world before the bombs they dropped even went off. And what I would like to know is who dropped the darn bombs? Bradbury mentions the war a few times but he doesn't explain it very well. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. The point is not who dropped the bomb, the point is that it happened without anyone in the city knowing that there were people in the world who were unhappy and wanted to kill them. Poor Mildred my backside! But poor Montag, he mourns her even though he thought he wouldn't. I like that Granger tells Montag that they are no better than anybody else. Even though they have knowledge and thought, they are going to be patient and kind to the rest of the world and try to share their knowledge. If they went in like a bunch of know-it-alls, no one would listen to them anyway.

Oh yes, I remember now. Montag kills Beatty. That was a jaw dropper. It doesn't matter if Beatty was asking for it or not, I'm not sure Montag should have set him on fire. Being chased by "the Hound" was scary. And it was disgusting how they woke everyone up to watch (REALITY TV ANYONE!) and even more disgusting how they sacrificed an innocent man to save face.

In my book were two after words written by Bradbury. Boy does he have some strong opinions! He mentions Mormons in the book and again in the after word. I don't think he likes Mormons very much. But I enjoyed reading about the mail he got from fans telling how he should have written the book or how is should be changed. And the ways that the schools changed what he wrote so the students wouldn't read anything offensive. And he just told them all to go to hell basically. Good for him. They obviously did not catch the meaning of the book very well. Good story. I enjoyed reading it and it helped me think about a lot of things. Good job Shyla!

3 comments:

srf said...

Tegan I can't believe you said hell - reading this book about the oppressive government has made you quite rebellious.

Sacrificing the innocent man was pretty bad. It kind of shows how much of the government's power depends on its ability to maintain illusions. Sort of hard to do now that their city was destroyed in war.

I can't decide what I think about Montag killing Beatty. Beatty would have killed him, so it's sort of self-defense, but Bradbury wrote it to be more like a murder.

Karen said...

I took it as murder, then felt like the ride in the river was cleansing for Montag.

Tecia said...

interesting insight