Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mixed Feelings about William

I have mixed feelings about William. A lot of the time while I'm reading I think he needs to get over himself. He thinks of himself as sort of humble, but he really isn't, he seems pretty full of himself. For instance, he always thinks he has the upper hand in conversations and observing people, and that he's controlling the conversation and/or observing and understanding people better than they are him, or at least that he's controlling their perceptions of him. I know just how he feels because I think that all the time, and believe me it's an ego thing. Also, I'm getting a little tired of him calling people ugly, dumb, immoral, and so on.  Sheesh. A little judgmental aren't we?

On the other hand, I like his independent spirit. It would be scary to shake off his uncles like he did, and it takes real drive to do what he did. Besides, he could have written a handbook on career advice that would have tips for teaching as well as any office job and even lawyering. First, how people perceive you is critical - assume a certain personality and act a certain way because that's your job. Second, when your boss asks you to do something - like start teaching immediately - you don't hesitate and you just pretend you're up to the job (in the process of pretending you're up to the job, you usually become capable of doing the job). And so on. He has a very good approach to his career, and I like that about him.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I look at it as William more protecting his heart, and I think he is just looking for someone to open it up too, I think he was disappointed in Edward , and strange mr H , he see the flaws in M . P, and I think he still has hope for mdlle R.

Tecia said...

Sometimes people who think they can read people and are smarter than those they talk with really are. Some people have that gift. I like that he is patient in his reactions to people until he thinks he knows them.