Sunday, July 28, 2013

William--is that his name?

So, I have read the first four chapters and I was re-reading them, thinking I was ahead of the game.  Then I talked to Mom and she informed me that we were supposed to read thru chapter 11.  Oops, my bad.  I must be a little rusty on my Roman Numerals!  I told myself I wasn't going to read the other posts because they would be spoilers.  But, I read Tecia's and Shyla's post anyway and they have somewhat changed my ideas.  I am going to forge on, however, and try not to look like an idiot.

So far, I like the main character a lot.  (believe it or not, his name is not mentioned in the first four chapters.  I know, I've read them twice).  These are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts of his.

1.  Chapter II
  "A sentiment of keen pleasure accompanied this first effort to earn my own living..."

I appreciate anyone who is willing to work.  I think it says a lot about a person.  A person who is willing to work can do anything they want to do.  Even become a professor, which is what I assume, (and now know from previous posts), what William really wants to do.

2.  Chapter II
  "I said to myself, I will place my cup under this continual dropping; it shall stand there still and steady; when full, it will run over of itself-meantime patience."

He is referring to Edward's treatment of him.  I don't like Edward.  I look forward to the time when William's cup runneth over.

3.  Chapter II
  "As to the fact of my brother assuming towards me the bearing of a proud, harsh master, the fault is his, not mine..."

William seems to understand that he cannot change or control another person, he can only change and control himself.  It does seem that he doesn't have much love for his brother, and his brother definitely doesnt have love for him.  But at least William is showing more signs of maturity.  Previous posts have indicated that some uncles had treated William harshly.  But they don't mention Edward.  So it will be interesting to see if anything comes to light about their relationship.

I don't quite know what to think of Mr. Hunsden.  What is his problem?

I look forward to the next 18 chapters!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sorry to say this little sister, Williams name is mentioned in each of the first four chapters.

debbs said...

So is Edward's little daughter