Sunday, July 7, 2013

"On the Death of Anne Bronte" by Charlotte Bronte


There's little joy in life for me,
And little terror in the grave;
I've lived the parting hour to see
Of one I would have died to save.

Calmly to watch the failing breath,
Wishing each sigh might be the last;
Longing to see the shade of death
O'er those beloved features cast.

The cloud, the stillness that must part
The darling of my life from me;
And then to thank God from my heart,
To thank Him well and fervently;

Although I knew that we had lost
The hope and glory of our life;
And now, benighted, tempest-tossed
Must bear alone the weary strife.

1 comment:

Tegan said...

Death seems to be like that a lot of the time. You get to a point where you want them to die so that the suffering, by them and you, can stop. But on the other hand, you are very sad to lose them and will miss them dearly.