Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Master Blender

It's no secret that I love LM Montgomery and the Anne of Green Gables series. This is certainly one of my favorite books and I think an impressive feat of the author. It still has a lot of the tone and style found in the other Anne books - including light-hearted moments. But it is also a weighty book that very seriously addresses the war. Montgomery does a great job blending all of this together. And then the book is powerful because it just seems so real. Yes, Rilla, is a very self-centered young girl. I was that way as a young girl too! But eventually you learn you have to step up. Rilla is beginning to realize that. And the rest of the book, how it portrays waiting at home during the war seems very real to me, which is not surprising since it's written by a person who did just that. I can't think of another book I've ever read like this - that solely addresses the waiting-at-home perspective of war. Because of the way she blends together such serious issues with factual events with still telling the story of a young girl growing up and with her light-hearted style and loveable characters, this is probably her most impressive book.

No comments: