Saturday, September 14, 2013

We do what we have to

In Chapter 9, Susan says "[w]hen we have to do a thing, . . ., we can do it."  I think that's one of the great messages in this book.  Walter doesn't want to go to war, but he has to, and he can.  Rilla doesn't want to take care of a baby or grow up, but she has to, and she can.  And like Walter says in Chapter 15, nothing can "take away the happiness we win for ourselves in the way of duty."  I find that to be true.  When we do difficult things that are our duty, there is that feeling of self-respect, of a certain kind of peace, and a feeling of something that rises about life's tragedies in a way that makes you feel a little invincible.  Not invincible from sorrow or from physical death, but invincible from feeling that the pains of our earthly life is all there is, because we know that there is something more that matters - doing what we believe is right and good without regard to the physical and emotional toll it might take on us - being right with our souls and with God.  Have I ever mentioned that I love this book??

1 comment:

Karen said...

I feel the need to mention this post inspired me.