Monday, September 2, 2013

Tidbits and Quotes

Here are some tidbits, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Lucy Maud Montgomery was born in Prince Edward Island on November 30, 1874. Her mother died of tuberculosis when Lucy was 21 months old. Stricken with grief over his wife’s death, Hugh John Montgomery gave custody over to Montgomery’s maternal grandparents.  During her teaching years, Montgomery had numerous love interests. As a highly fashionable young woman, she enjoyed "slim, good looks," and she won the attention of several young men.

Rilla of Ingleside is the only Canadian novel written from a woman's perspective about the First World War by a contemporary.

And here are 2 quotes I found on the internet:

On the 5th of August, 1914, L.M. Montgomery wrote in her journal:
"Good God, I cannot believe it! It must be a horrible dream. It has come up like a thundercloud…It has come. Britain or Germany must fall. But the death-grapple will be awful beyond anything ever known in the world before. Oh, if I could but waken up and find it all a dream….Already Canada is ablaze. Volunteers are being called for Red Cross and patriotic funds are being started. The bottom has fallen out of the world’s markets. Civilization stands aghast at the horror that is coming upon it."

In my latest story, “Rilla of Ingleside,” I have tried, as far as in me lies, to depict the fine and splendid way in which the girls of Canada reacted to the Great War – their bravery, patience and self-sacrifice. The book is theirs in a sense in which none of my other books have been: for my other books were written for anyone who might like to read them: but “Rilla” was written for the girls of the great young land I love, whose destiny it will be their duty and privilege to shape and share.
– L.M. Montgomery, from “How I Became a Writer,” 1921

No comments: