Sunday, September 29, 2013

Still Sad About Walter + Comfort Food

Well, I'm still sad about Walter. In light of mom's last post, I was reading about "In Flander's Fields" and I actually think now that Walter's poem "The Piper" was perhaps supposed to be a fictional version of "In Flander's Fields." According to Wikipedia, it was written by a Canadian soldier and first published in a London publication, and was used to recruit soldiers and sell war bonds.

I've probably read this book about 50 times and I'll probably read it at least that many more times. I don't know what it is with me and the Anne of Green Gable books - I like them more than anyone I've ever met, and have read them more than anyone I've met. They're like comfort food to me except it's a book instead of food. I looked up comfort food on Wikipedia and I do think it describes how I feel about the Anne books, which I've been reading since about the age of 10:

Comfort food is traditionally eaten food (which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the person eating it), or simply provides the consumer an easy-to-digest meal, soft in consistency, and rich in calories, nutrients, or both.

Comfort foods may be consumed to positively pique emotions, to relieve negative psychological effects or to increase positive feelings.

One study divided college-students' comfort-food identifications into four categories (nostalgic foods, indulgence foods, convenience foods, and physical comfort foods) with a special emphasis on the deliberate selection of particular foods to modify mood or effect, and indications that the medical-therapeutic use of particular foods may ultimately be a matter of mood-alteration.

No comments: