Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hear Hear

I agree with Karen and do not want to make any snap judgements about the characters of the book. I was too quick to do that with poor Fogg. Now, it clearly states that Conway just doesn't like to be active. He is not lazy, he will work hard when he needs to. But he likes the quiet. For him to be impressed with the "virgin" beauty of Tibet and not impressed with Mount Everest tells me that he likes solitude. What I like about him is that he is smart, works hard, and does care for others around him. I like how he keeps asking Brinklow is she is okay. I guess the person he should be worried about is Mallison. But who would not be frantic in a situation like this? It seems to me that Mallison is the person who is going to keep things real, in the pessimistic way of course. I'm interested to see what strengths the American will bring to the group.

1 comment:

srf said...

I just want to clarify that in spite of my observations, I do overall admire, like, and respect Conway. I think it goes toward his charm--I can see potential flaws in his character but I am still drawn to him.

Tegan I like how you tied Conway's like/dislike of certain mountains into his personality; that is interesting. Speaking of descriptions (mom's post) I love all the descriptions of the mountains so far. "[T]he peaks had a chill gleam; utterly majestic and remote, their very namelessness had dignity." Ch. 2. That is poetry! Also, the descriptions of mountains fall right into one of my favorite literary concepts--"the sublime"--which recognizes the beauty juxtaposed alongside the terrifying, raw power of nature.