Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lost Horizon: Fun Facts

Shangri-La has become a byword for a mythical utopia--a permanently happy land, isolated from the world.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt named the Presidential hideaway in Maryland after Shangri-La. (It has since been renamed Camp David.)

Lost Horizon has been made into two films and served as the basis for a Broadway musical.

Zhongdian, a mountain region of southwest China, has now been renamed Shangri-La (Xianggelila), based on its claim to have inspired Hilton's book.

Shangri-La is referenced in various songs including songs by Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Billy Idol, Stevie Nicks, AC/DC, a duet by Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby, and Motley Crue.

The United States navy named one of its aircraft carriers USS Shangri-La.

Because of its position as Number One in what became a very long list of Pocket editions, James Hilton's Lost Horizon is often cited as the first American paperback book, which is not correct. Some (including Nikki and Wikipedia) claim the first paperback book was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, but this is also hotly debated.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I only offered the idea that The Good Earth was the first paper back according to Wikipedia. I never claimed that was the truth or what I actually thought. In the future, please don't miss state the facts.

srf said...

I resent your implication that I would mislead my own family. I am sorry you are offended, but as it so happens, being the good attorney that I am, I have a record of the conversation at issue.

You said: "p.s. [Lost Horizon] was not the first paper back book[.] the good earth was[.] even though [Lost Horizon] says on the cover it was the first[.]"

It was only after I began questioning your factual assertion you revealed your source for the statement was Wikipedia. I then determined that instead of blindly relying on Wikipedia, I would do independent research to confirm the fact so as not to present false information to my family.

I am sorry that your ego is so big you are willing to make it appear my integrity is questionable as well as blantantly lie to a family that has expressed much interest and concern for your general welfare. Nonetheless, I assure you I will bear no ill will toward you in the future based on this ugly incident.

Karen said...

Nikki, welcome to the book club!
enter at your own risk ;o}
Shyla the site looks wonderful.

srf said...

Actually Nikki (who just passed the bar!) has her own family book club. She just commented in order to defend herself. But I am sure you will all be thrilled to know that Cylynn has agreed to join the book club!

Tecia said...

I personally like Nikki and all, even though I've never met her, but I don't think I would trust her over Shyla in the first place. In fact, I think it is bold for her to doubt Shyla. I hope we all have learned a lesson here...Nikki.

Tegan said...

hey everybody,
after reading Shyla's comment it would appear that she learned how to write in law school. I actually could barely understand what I was reading it was so convuluded. Then again, maybe I'm just really tired!