Friday, October 12, 2007

Hilton-a great read

A read this book as a hardback edition that Karen Anne got me for my birthday so I didn't write in it. But through page 82 I had sticky notes galore. Alas, I got behind in my reading and my posting so after srf left I began to read again feverishly. Shangri-Blah!? Cy-I will beat you the next time I see you. Hilton is a great read. He is philosophical and writes with a beauty that merits quoting. The contrast of Shangri-La and the world, of the Manchu and Miss Brinklow, of Mallinson and the passionless Conway, of the panic brought on by the combination of the elements and control and then insuing and dominating tranquility--just for the taking. It was a great journey. And even though the divide was only "moderately well watched" (Chapter 11)it was only an escape to those leaving. So I ask you, at the beginning of the book, when Conway eluded Rutherford, why was he in such an earnest hurry and to go where? A quote that I have had in my quote book for many years: "Somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La". Peace, time, satisfaction, contentment. Shangri-La was a good trip. So what is the next book?

3 comments:

srf said...

I agree. I would like to devote more time to analyzing Hilton's writing style sometime. His writing style somehow makes us feel all the conflicts and contrasts he is writing about, but makes us feel tranquil at the same time. It took me a minute but I finally got your "it was only an escape to those leaving." Exactly.

Cylynn said...

First of all I would like to see you beat me considering the fact that you are old! Next, a great read? I don't know I would have to say it was just as moderate as Shangri-La itself.

Tegan said...

Well stated Cylynn!!