Saturday, October 13, 2007

huh?

I did like Shangri-la and I also thought, like Shyla, that living for a really long time and not forever was a good idea. But what is their life like? The high lama hardly talked to anyone. It was too much effort. Although, he talked to Conway alot. It just doesn't seem worth it. So I am kind of like Tegan. It's a long life with lots of learning, but what good is that learning if you can't really do anything good with it? It really is rather selfish. Why not just make better use of your normal mortal time and learn than waste it smoking cigars. And like Shyla, that company does seem a little lacking in entertainment.

I enjoyed Conway's character. And I thought they summed up his personality in the end well and why he was the way he was. Sorry I don't have anything more clever to say or quote like Tegan did, Shyla, but I was just reading. The one part I wanted to quote and comment on Eddie lost my spot too when he read it and I never marked it properly.

I think Miss Brinklow is weird. She wants to change the place and that is not possible, crazy woman. And the other guy, the theif type, deserves to be there forever and remember the things he did.

I finally did buy some highliters on sale so I will try and mark my next book better so I can make intelligent comments and points.

Poor Mallison, but he won in the end, although not really because he lost the girl, which no one has commented on. That was all rather weird. She must have known she would age and die when she left, so why did she? Did she really like Mallison that much?

In short, I liked the book, but I thought the ending was too sophisticated for me. I didn't get it. Eddie had to tell me that they were all looking for Shangri-la now. Crazy. I too want to know the next book.

2 comments:

srf said...

Thank goodness those highlighters were on sale--I don't even want to think about you paying full price for a highlighter.

Even though you didn't cleverly incorporate a quote into your post like Tegan, there is something quite enlightening in your post. Your comments imply you buy the Shangri-La thing hook, line, and sinker or at least that you seem to have no doubt the author intends us to believe it. I think I agree with you--in the end we are supposed to believe the High Lama's story of Shangri-La.

srf said...

I think you were a little harsh on Barnard, but I agree with you about Miss Brinklow (another woman without a first name by the way). She is weird and she just doesn't get it.

I can't figure out the Lo-Tsen thing either. I think maybe she hoped she wouldn't die, though knew it was a possibility but was willing to risk it. Maybe because she came to Shangri-La so young and inexperienced, unlike the others, she had not yet experienced enough "passion" to be able to give it up and always lamented that. Then Mallinson comes along who is unwilling to live an impassioned existence, so she is drawn to him and willing to risk death in order to feel some passion herself. (I hope you all know I am talking broadly of "passion" as the term is used in the novel and not narrowly of sexual or romantic passion.)