Sunday, October 14, 2007

Mallison-Gotta love him!

Thank goodness for the healthy dose of reality that Mallison brought to Conway!! Whew, that was a close one. Conway was almost stuck in Shangri-La forever!! I must admit that I was glad that Conway was happy and tranquil. But I am even more happy that he left. The place just kept getting worse (worse being more and more moderate). I like it when Mallison's answer to Barnard is "Possibly,if you happen to like prison." When I read that it struck me that that is exactly what Shangri-La is, a prison. I too am interested in all the details. I enjoyed the journey but I am glad it is over. I hope Conway is happy wherever he is and I feel that he harbors no regrets except the loss of Lo-Tsen. I feel as Mallison does that the whole place is evil. Too many drugs and too much open mindness. They are so open minded that they can't make any decisions or opinions about anything. Thanks for the good read Shyla, what is the next book?

3 comments:

srf said...

Tegan, I am quite amused by your little crush on Mallinson. I couldn't tell from your post though whether you agree with Mallinson that the High Lama is full of crap and lied about everything or whether you think that it is all true but that Shangri-La is just "evil" with all it's drugs and open mindedness (I really can't believe you cited open mindedness as a basis for evil).

Tegan said...

I have not yet reached a conclusion about the truth. I think that the High Lama (not having any outside contact for hundreds of years!) could easily believe that his little world was true. I certainly think the druds could have some influence in this as well. I would like to clairify that I do not think open mindedness is evil, I just said that no one had any opinions about anything and could not make any real decisions BECAUSE of their open mindedness. I will give an example of why this could be bad. When one is driving in a car and would like to make a left hand turn, one must make a firm decision about when to make that turn or one could be killed. Do you see the problem with not being able to take a stand and make a decision?

Tecia said...

Tegs- you are one to comment on driving skills. I'm scared to drive with you. And it'll only get worse when we are old. Try another example.