Sunday, March 9, 2008

not bad

I liked this book over all. I think I'm pretty easy to entertain, but there are actually things I didnt' like about it. The thing I REALLY didnt' like, is when Mr. Tilney comes back and they take their walk to visit the Allen's, Austen just writes in like one paragraph their conversation. And she tells it from a narrators point of view. This is the reason I love to read these books. When the two people get together. I didnt' think she made it as obvious that it Catherine and Mr. Tilney were soul mates like she usually does in P & P, Emma, and Sense and Sen. The climax just wasnt' quite there for me. I also have to say I just skimmed over all the stupid "horror novel" part. It was boring and pointless.

Isabella is a nim- kum- poop! I think she just didn't know she was a tramp. But she found out in the end. Poor James because he thought she was good like she did, but when the first opportunity came, she bombed and was unfaithful to him. But I really do think she loved him or at least thought she did.

I don't even want to start on Mr. Thorpe. Red flags all over the place. I'm glad the Thorpes are out of the picture. They played an interesting roll in the book.

I have a question: Is Catherine wealthy? I thought the last part of the book was really wordy. I could barely make it through it.

I like Eleanor but I don't understand why she didnt' just tell Catherine that her dad is a jerk. It would have helped her "dear friend" and saved her a lot of grief. It's a good thing Mr. Tilney came to the rescue. Did you guys see the movie? When they go to visit the Allen's and he proposes they go to kiss and it looks like two little kids trying to kiss, it actually makes me laugh to think of the scene.

So that is what I think. Like always, I'm glad to have read another book.

2 comments:

srf said...

Tecia, I am sorry you had to miss out on the sappy, I love you/no, I love you; you're pretty/no, you're pretty conversation between Tilney and Catherine. Bummer. Anyway, I'm not sure that they were soul mates. Henry liked Catherine because she liked him which flattered him and then he got sort of used to her.

Also, tramp? What is with you and Tegan lately?

Also, Catherine is not super wealthy. That's why the General kicked her out and wouldn't approve the marriage. She is okay, she has more money than the Thorpes, but not as much as the Tilneys.

Karen said...

You think Isabella loved James? No way, John Thorpe lied to Isabella just like he lied to General Tilney, that the Morlands were really really wealthy,instead of middle class; Isabella was looking to make her fortune and nothing else. when it looked as though Isabella might marry Captain Tilney, Mr Tilney thought the only thing that would save him was a baronet.

Eleanor is to polite to disrespect her father by saying anything slightingly of him, she really has little freedom.