Friday, March 7, 2008

Parting Thoughts

1. John Thorpe is an idiot. I noticed his behavior paralleled the behavior of Jane Austen's rejected lover in the movie "Becoming Jane" (he wrote a letter to the uncle of the guy she liked and told him she was a poor girl trying to find a rich husband). I don't know to what degree that movie is an accurate portrayal of Austen's life, but I think either Austen's fiction might be copying the truth or the movie's fiction might be copying Austen's fiction.

2. I still think Catherine is dumb or as Tegan dubs it "maddeningly slow." She should have caught on a lot sooner when Eleanor was kicking her out. Also, I don't care how upset she is. How can she even think of making the long journey home alone without checking to see how much money she had?

3. Eleanor is my favorite character in this book even if she does lack backbone.

2 comments:

Tecia said...

I didn't think that Jane Austen's "rejected lover" was an idiot. She regretted not marrying him. At least to a degree. And he was still in love with her. John Thorpe was controlling and a liar to get what he wanted. Her old boyfriend was kind and gentle.

srf said...

Tecia. I don't mean the rich guy with the mean aunt. I mean the other guy--he had ugly hair in the movie and seemed kind of dorky and he proposes to Jane. Remember?