Sunday, March 2, 2008

Udolpho

I think that the problem with the young women having too much time on their hand is the fact that they spend it reading gothic romance novels. What trouble Cathrine gets into because of Udolpho! (Ch. 24). Thank goodness for the gentle teachings of a loving Henry Tilney. I sure that Henry can see the naivety and unexperience of Catherine and maybe that endears her to him more. I was so embarrassed for Cathrine getting caught looking in rooms she had no buisness or permission being in. I have to somewhat agree with Shyla when she says that Catherine is stupid and annoying. I like Catherine but she is maddeningly slow. I like that she can only see the good in people but if she can't start picking better friends then she will not be seen in a good light in society. Come on Catherine! Grow a brain and stop hanging around Isabella who never writes to you and only uses you!!

2 comments:

srf said...

I was also very much bothered when her silliness almost made her late to the first dinner. You can see how far her imagination and obsession with gothic novels takes her when it starts to override one of her most self-valued characteristics: being polite and pleasing. As it was, rushing and being almost late caused a problem. To reiterate what Tegan said, Come on Catherine! (Tegan, I love the phrase "maddeningly slow." I thought "grow a brain" was a bit harsh for you-did Samuel have another bad day today?)

Tegan said...

with Samuel, it is almost always a bad day. Maybe if the kid would sleep everyone would be a lot happier.