Monday, March 10, 2008

Ok

So, i was dissatisfied with my response to the end of the novel. Here is my new response.

Catherine and Mr. Tilney deserve some credit. They waited until his father was reconciled to the fact that while she wasn't wealthy, she wasn't poor - and reconciled to their getting married. It wasn't exactly his idea of the perfect match. And Mr Tilney should be given props. While he could have pushed the issue and told Catherine that it was ok to get married right then, he waited until the timing was better. And he was faithful through it. That says a lot about his honorability. I'm also glad that he fessed up to gradually loving her. Yes. Love. I think it was more than just getting used to her. I don't think she would have married a guy who was just accustomed to her and didn't mind having her around. She's too Romantically minded.

Isabella got what she deserved and is a little hussy. -i've been wanting to say that word about her for a while- I'm sure she'll trick somebody into marrying her despite her lack of money, property and connections. Maybe she'll grow up and realize that she can find a husband easier if only she was a little less desperate. Part of me feels bad for her. She really ought to have some self-esteem.

It was refreshing to read this again. It's a nice break from Jude the Obscure.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I didn't know who "Jude the Obscure" was. I read about it, and it doesn't sound like a fun book to me, but it does seem to illustrate where shacking up, fornication, and adultery will lead.

srf said...

Happy Tecia? Now you've got Tay Tay calling people a hussy.

Fine, I admit it. I was exaggerating when I said Tilney only married Catherine because he got used to having her around. But he really did only start liking her because she liked him and that fed his ego, but hell, let's face it, we all fall into that trap.

Isabella won't have any trouble finding a new husband. There are a lot of James-like people out there. I think what she has learned is to hold onto them once you've got them in your claws.

Even though I didn't comment on your first last response, I did like how you pointed out Austen questioned the moral of the story.

Tay said...

"Jude the Obscure" is a book that is ridiculously depressing. I don't think that you should read it, Aunt Karen. I'm still getting over the ending and it's been a week. Bad idea for people who get emotionally involved with books!

srf said...

Especially if those people are also pregnant!