Monday, September 1, 2008

"Deadest Shot "or Gentle Giant

From the beginning, Dill has been the culprit. Dill is forcing Jem to question the status quo and that is part of transitioning from a child to an adult. Jem begins some tangent that Scout doesn't understand nor can she accompany him. On page 63 she says "It was then, I suppose, that Jem and I first began to part company." And while the kids are wrestling with Boo Radley, Atticus is wrestling with doing what he knows is right (representing a Negro) and protecting his children from what he knows will be ugly-the persecution the Finches will endure because Atticus is doing what he thinks is right.
I am constantly impressed with Lee's style and her one liners. The description of climate on page 65 and "Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts." And her use of metaphors (however, I think I identify things as metaphors and they probably aren't) p. 70 "Tree's dying. You plug 'em with cement when they're sick. You ought to know that, Jem." But why is Jem crying at the end of Chapter 7, page 71?
I remember so little of the book. But starting from Chapter 8, I am beginning of Mr. Avery is a good guy or a bad guy.
Atticus is gentle with Scout on page 77. I don't think I would say Atticus isn't gentle it's just that a parent doesn't need to be gentle all the time. So is it Boo who puts the blanket on Scout? And is Mr. Avery really the hero of the fire? And Atticus, a lawyer, really has a way with words. When he and Scout our discussing what Cecil Jacobs said "'s what everybody at school says." "From now on it'll be everybody but one--"
When Scout lies about hitting Cecil, I don't think it is because she is ashamed of Atticus and is loyal. I think it is because she told Atticus she wouldn't fight anymore when she heard things about Atticus. She didn't want Atticus to know she broke a promise. Promises are precious.
And I think Atticus wanted to keep the "deadest shot" issue quiet because he is ashamed that he once enjoyed killing things. And maybe to the wise Atticus, they were all "mockingbirds."
Notice Uncle Jack, one of my heroes, has a cat for a companion.
However, the classic Atticus parental style is reflected at the end of Chapter 9 when he knows Scout is listening to his explanation to Uncle Jack of what he is worried about.
It is interesting to note that the children are missing a part of growing up by not having neighborhood children to be with.
"Nothing is more deadly than a deserted, waiting street." Why did Atticus gind his glases to powder after he dropped them while shotting Tim Johnson? And is it another metaphor when Mr. Tate says"You were a little to the right, Mr. Finch". Atticus respond s with "Always was" "If I had my 'druthers I'd take a shotgun." Miss Maudie who continues to prove herself in these chapters says "People in their right minds never take pride in their talents..." And Jem sums up the entire episode with "Atticus is a gentleman, just like me!"
I not only get excited by the contents of the text but by Lee's style. As you can probably tell by my post, I have underlined many, many passages. This has become a labor intensive exercise that I am thoroughly enjoying.

No comments: