Saturday, September 20, 2008

Does any one know?...

I have been waiting to ask this question. When Miss Maudie is at Alexandra's party and the other ladies are talking about Aticus being led wrong. They say he's a good man but he's 'misguided'. Now from what I remember Ms. Maudie doesn't say much and she's not too open about her stance on things, but she says on page 233 1st para. down "his food doesn't stick going down , does it?" and it seemed to somewhat shut them all up. But what does it mean? It's been bothering me for some time now.

Tom's fate is sad. He kinda went crazy. But who wouldn't. And poor Jem, facing the hard facts of life. That some people think they are better than others. And are we? We learn we are not or at least that is the wrong attitude to have. It is so obvious to us now looking back on history the wrong choices people make about putting themselves above others and how does that happen now? I think it's interesting. I also like how in chp. 22 at the end how Ms. Maudie (and I love how she has a relationship with the kids now, like a grandma) how she says that Atticus can't win. There is no way he can, but he's the only man who could keep a jury out that long and that it was a baby step. It just reminds me that one person really can make a difference. Not in the movement of civil rights, that takes many people. But one person can make a difference in giving others courage to do what they think might be right. How difficult that would be to do by oneself. It would be much easier with a group of good friends to all make the right choice all at once, but that's not usually how the cookie crumbles is it?

The courage in this book amazes me as I think about real life. This is a great book. I can't believe I didnt' read it in high school! What kind of school did I go to?

Don't forget about my question!! :P

4 comments:

debbs said...

I'm not sure but I think Miss Maudie was talking about Mrs. Merriweather's distress over Sophy (her black maid) being sulky and firing her for it. To Miss Maudie, if her husband's food wasn't sticking going down then there was no need to fire Sophy. I don't think Miss Maudie was referring to Atticus. And we can make a difference, one at a time. Not like Rosa Park. It was effective, but it was staged right? It's the members of the jury who each had a chance to make a difference.

srf said...

I had that question too. Mom's explanation makes a bit more sense. I like the way you summarized how one person could make a difference (by giving others the courage to do what they think is right). I never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. You are getting very wise in your old age.

debbs said...

When you say wise in your old age, are you talking about me or Tecia?

srf said...

Tecia. She is almost 30 you know.