Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mrs. Dubose-poor lady

I actually have to say that I agree with mom and Shyla about Mrs. Dubose. She is that word that Shyla said. And why I think she was an old cranky lady anyway, (she probably had cats), the addiction to morphine made her not herself. It never says how or why she got addicted. Some people are in some real pain. And her life sucks.

I do think Atticus is teaching something important to his children which is respect and I do agree that many kids aren' t taught this. But that does fall back on the parents. Good for Atticus for sticking to his values and instilling them in his kids.

One thing I think the book really teaches us is that no one is perfect, we all make mistakes. And that people are people and every one should be treated with respect and like a person and that they have value. And sometimes just because everyone else is doing it and it's important to know ourselves and what we beleive despite 'everyone else jumping off the cliff'. Mom, no one is perfect and it is possible that sometime in your life you will make a mistake at school. I think it best to treat her like a person who has value and prove her wrong in a nice way by asking her questions and letting her figure it out on her own. As opposed to the 'I said so, and I'm the adult and it is that way' response. Kids don't respond to that, probably because it doesn't really work. Not that you do that... Not that I do this either, but it's what Eddie would do.

2 comments:

Tay said...

yeah, i never liked her either. she was probably lonely and hated kids.
FYI (grandma in particular) - i'm not posting because i haven't been reading. I promise to next time. I just didn't get out and get the book in time. :)

debbs said...

I am mindful of the comment Tecia made comparing me to Mrs. Dubose because I have a cat. Tecia, your share of the "vast estate" is in rapid decline.