Sunday, August 11, 2013

Yuck!  First of all, he loves her for who knows how long and then he just shows up and professes his love.  And then the "love scene" where he puts her on his knee.  Gag me with a spoon!  And how is she supposed to respond.  I mean she was broke and she was still mourning.  (I'm still trying to get over the coincidence of meeting at the graveyard).  However, Chapter XX, the classic simile, William speaking about hating Mr. Pelet's guts "...grew spiny as a porcupine, and inflexible as a blackthorn cudgel."  And then on the next page where William is putting to bed the obliterated Mr. Pelet "...his eyes in a fine frenzy rolling -- a pretty sight he was, a just medium between the fool and the lunatic."  And then he moves because he is afraid he will have an affair with Mde Reuter.  How do you rationalize immoral behavior--and William the ever present moralist! I don't know, it just struck me wrong.  Who is Mr. Brown?  Did I miss that somewhere?  But in Hunsden's letter to William, "And this you may rely on:  if she pleases my taste, or if I think it worth while in a pecuniary point of view, I'll pounce on your prize and bear her away triumphant in spite of your teeth.  Ah, Hundsen, ever the idiot.  But then the book really falls apart for me.  I, too, am glad I read Charlotte's other books first.  I'm sorry she had to live through that, that anyone had to, must still, live through that.  However, I am glad we read the book.   I'm excited about "Rilla".  Let's get to it.  I want to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

2 comments:

Karen said...

The love scene wasn't my favorite part, but I did like the poem she wrote and he found....

Tegan said...

Mr. Brown is the first contact William had in Brussels via Hunsden. Mr. Brown helped William get the teaching job.