Monday, July 9, 2007

Alright

So, Fix is absolutely a scoundrel. I only think that because i know that Fogg is just the sort of person who doesn't tolerate dishonesty. I especially don't trust him to do anything helpful for the travellers. Poor Pass., all he wants to do is be a good servant and Fix just tries his hardest to ruin that for him.

Aouda seems like a nice enough girl. I don't know that she's necessarily in love, but she does hold a lot of admiration for Fogg. I like her concern for Pass. I admire her for being aware that she owes Pass her life and is always concerned for his well being. However, i wish that she had a little more backbone as a woman, but i suppose she can only be as outspoken as Verne writes her to be.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Auoda has been educated, but still has her cultural upbringing as well, staying the storm with Fogg, showed she does have strength.

srf said...

I definitely think Verne is setting us up to have "the woman" fall in love with Fogg and I can't tell you how mad it makes me as I am reading along.

I do think Passe is trying to be a good servant, but it really bothers me that he won't freaking tell Fogg who Fix is. I hate to say it, but I think he is hesitant to talk about it because to fully explain things to Fogg he would have to admit so much of his own questionable behavior. Or maybe as Mom said before he is just a "slow thinker" and eventually he'll get around to deciding the best thing to do is just tell Fogg.

I agree with Karen that Verne makes the woman strong and I too think her concern for Passe is cute. But I do wish Verne would give her more of a role than just following Fogg around and being the recipient of his vast kindness and generosity.

debbs said...

I am not convinced that there are any honorable characters in this book, especially Auoda who has to take what she can get and let's face it, she got lucky. And Shyla, maybe Verne was setting us up to have "the woman" fall in love with Fogg. But one has to be "willing". I mean a woman, whether she has something to offer or not, can't walk around with a chip on her shoulder and expect every many to drop dead at her feet. In fact, talking about things to offer, what can you offer more than love and devotion. Looks like there was more than one winner in this scenario.

debbs said...

Shyla got me so riled up I think I contradicted myself.

Tay said...

I still think that Verne is stuck in his 19th century thinking of woman. We need to keep time period in mind as we think about the actions of these characters. The only good thing he says about her is what he doesn't actually say: she is never described as one who likes gossip or "news," as Emma would put it.