Sunday, July 8, 2007

I honestly didn't know that we were to post every week, I thought we were on a two week schedule. I hate to admit it but I think Tegan may be more savvy than me.
Anyway, what I think so far:

Pass: I like him but he is kind of a pain. He really is almost nothing but trouble. He costs Phileas money and time. He and Phileas are not "kindred spirits" as it were. He is all about soaking in as much as he can about the places that he goes. And Phileas obviously could care less. But he does stick up for his master and there is a lot to be said for that kind of devotion.

Fix: is a scoundrel. He is costing Phileas a lot. And now poor Pass being all drunk and high on opium. But I think he really is just trying to do what he should.

Phileas: would be suspicious of Fix if he really were a robber. So I don't think he is. And he is showing more and more kindness and humanity as their adventure goes along. He doesn't seem the type to me to be smitten by Aouda. It seems like he is just trying to do the right thing. I don't know what I think about them. They seem a weird match.
I too think it's weird how calm he is about everything. He must have some repressed something because he doesn't show any emotion at all. He sure has a lot of money. I can't quite get over it. I still don't know why he is doing this when there is so much on the line? Is he prideful or just crazy? I think the latter.

Aouda: I think she is nice. I don't know if she loves Phileas or not. If she is falling for him I don't know if it's really because of who he is. How can she really even know. It would be more for saving her life. Maybe that is enough though. I like that Phileas tries to take care of her so much. But isn't that just humanity?

I do like this book. How do we pick our next? Can we give suggestions? My suggestion is that we read A Christmas Carol. Down the road of course, closer to Christmas.

1 comment:

Karen said...

one of the things i like most about Fogg, is that he takes things all in stride, and is as loyal to Passe, as Passe is to him. I think Passe is important to the story, it would be dull with out him.
Fogg took half his fortune out of the bank, you think the bank would know this and dismiss him as the bank robber.

Shyla and I are going to make a book list, so any book can be suggested and Shyla and I (Karen) will choose what we read from that list.