Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Can Money Buy Anything?

Let's face it--this book does not show that any average person can travel the world in 80 days. It shows that a very rich Englishman can buy the impossible. If Fogg's pockets weren't overflowing with money, he would have been inevitably delayed on this trip. He pays bonuses to encourage captains to get him somewhere early or on-time, he uses a small fortune to buy an elephant, he can charter a ship on a whim and get the captain to take it through a typhoon (which was a "hazardous underaking . . . particularly at that time of year," ch. 21), and his English money can even be used to defeat the law (the bail posting). Furthermore, it appears Fogg is unconcerned in the least by the danger he is placing others in as long as they are properly compensated.

Fogg's best quality is that he knows how to throw his money around in order to get his way and that he has the arrogance and presumption to do it. And now it appears that Fogg's money is going to win over a woman who has no other options. Not that I mean to judge her--she probably really didn't have a lot of options. It's not like the nameless Mrs. Aouda could go out and get a job (and still maintain her level of class). Hell, I'd be willing to put up with an untalkative, whist playing old guy too. In fact, if any of you knows a rich one who likes to travel, let me know. I mean at least she is getting a guy that realizes how "unthinkable" it is that a woman could make a journey with only one bag. Ch. 20. And in return he is getting a woman that is fairly pleasant to look at, uncomplaining, soft spoken and who constantly expresses her gratitude and admiration for him. That's a heck of a deal and a great lesson on how to stretch a dollar.

3 comments:

debbs said...

Sounds like you learned a lot in New York.

Karen said...

hey, everyone in the story who has been "compensated" has had a choice, and the capt,who would have been happy to do it for the agreed price, got even more. I also think the captain liked testing his own and the ships ability's, is he not arrogant too? the other guy got the elephant, he is set for life now, i see Fogg as generous.
Is the setting and paying of bail defeating the law?
And Phileas being practical knew it wold take lots of money, thats why he brought it. Are we all arrogant who spend money to get what we want and go where we want to go?
I have a few guys i would like you to meet, they play poker not whist, is that ok? I thought it would since you are not soft spoken.

srf said...

Well now this is getting nasty. I guess I'll consider your poker players, but find out if they would require that I change my last name. I know you see Fogg as generous and I admire your continued defense of him. Yes, I think Fogg is acting arrogant with his money. However, I think the most arrogant thing he did was have the captain send up a distress signal. I can't tell you how much that bothers me. You don't just casually use a distress signal so that you can make good on a bet. That really disgusted me.