Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I Really Must Be Stupid!"

The above quote is from Fix, ch. 30, however, I think it is the theme for this entire set of chapters.

Fogg is stupid for blindly accepting Fix and never questioning the coincidence of constantly meeting up with him. If Fogg wasn't so purposely introverted, he would have carried on enough conversation with Fix by now to be suspicious.

The conductor is stupid for taking the train full speed across the bridge. Fogg and Proctor are stupid to the point of being utterly ridiculous. They are fighting over nothing. And seriously, if they must fight, wouldn't a fist fight do the job? Are their egos so big that they would rather die than be alive knowing that the other who has insulted them is also alive? I mean it would be one thing if Proctor had slept with "the woman," but simply telling Fogg he shouldn't play diamonds? Give me a break. Duelling with Proctor is neither his duty nor the right thing to do.

Finally, Fix really is stupid. Not necessarily for suspecting Fogg. But he is stupid for being so obsessed with winning the finders fee that he won't accept the obvious signs that Fogg is not the bank robber. So, instead of finding the right suspect, he is going all around the world and wasting a lot of money traveling that will not be reimbursed by the bank. I predict it will end up alright though, since I am sure the "kind and generous" Fogg will decidedly and dispassionately reimburse Fix.

1 comment:

debbs said...

I agree. I think Fogg, Pass and Fix are all pretty stupid. There have been a bunch of red flags they have all missed becaused they are so self absorbed.

And, may I ask, are there only three people in this book group? srf, Karen Anne and myself? You guys are even reacting to the comments.