Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Blah!

John Thorpe makes me sick, and I feel so bad for Catherine that she constantly has to put up with him! It reminds me of this guy who made me dinner a couple weeks ago, and then obliged me to watch all these clips of some stand-up comedian talking about Hot Pockets on You-tube... how do you get out of something like that? Sorry, that wasn't very nice, but I can sympathize a little.

So... I haven't quite finished this week's reading, but I thought I should post before it is too late. From my observations I think there is something very suspicious about General Tilney. I'm not convinced he is really their father. Also, the fact that he and John Thorpe seem to get along so great is kind of odd as well. It is difficult to tell how Mr. Tilney feels about Catherine, but I think he likes her. I do find it kind of odd, though, because his attachment to her seems to have formed rather quickly. I am curious to see what developments arise from this...

Sorry, my thoughts are kind of scattered right now; probably because of my 2 mid-terms and 3 projects that were due this week, on top of all the usual stuff. I did want to say, however, that I really like Catherine as the "heroine". I think she shows a lot of strength despite her sheltered upbringing and naivety. I am really proud of her for standing up to her "friends" (if you can call them that... I don't know what kind of friends would treat a person that way) and refusing to go with them. She certainly shows much more character than her brother, who always takes the side of the pretty face and falls for the oldest trick in the book when Isabella starts crying. He is so dense. I am glad Mr. Allen has some sense and supports Catherine in her decision. Mrs. Allen is just plain silly, as many of Miss Austen's female characters are. I wish Catherine had a stronger person there with her to advise and support. But perhaps she will find that within herself.

1 comment:

srf said...

Kalli. It's great to have you on the blog even if you haven't finished the reading.

I'm glad you brought up the General Tilney thing. He is definitely acting like a freak and like you, I am convinced that something is going to come up with him later. The only thing I can come up with is that he is interested in marrying Catherine himself or that he is going to be mean to Catherine because he thinks she doesn't have enough money to marry his son. But your he's not who he claims to be theory is interesting as well.