Friday, February 22, 2008

Don't worry... I'm finally done with the first week's reading

Yeah, that took me way longer than it should have, but what can I say? I have a lot of other things (less enjoyable, I might add) that I am obliged to read. However, I am determined to stay somewhat on top of things and contribute to the book club this time around.

I really like the book so far. The quick wit of Miss Austen is really captivating and has made this story easier for me to get into than some of her other ones. The most enjoyable part for me is the way the characters parallel people in our day and age. John Thorpe is conceited and worldly (like so many boys I know) and bores poor Catherine to death with details of his "mode of transportation". That part made me laugh so hard because I've been in similar situations, and I was shocked to see that things really haven't changed. Isabella is a typical vain young woman-- I have known so many just like her, and I don't think Catherine is dumb for being her friend. When a beautiful, confident person pays you (a very normal and unextraordinary girl) special attention and compliments it is difficult not to be flattered and desire more of the attention. I like Mr. Tilney a lot, and think he seems very charming and intelligent. I agree that Catherine does not quite seem up to his level, but I am excited to see her grow and change as the story progresses.

1 comment:

Karen said...

So where is this weeks? jk, we are glad you are here.