Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Well?......

Ok- it has taken me a bit to read and I'm not even caught up. I got the email on a week that wasn't good for me to start reading. I am not quite through Chp. 11 but I will get there. I have to try and remember my roman numerals. You don't need it much with my life right now.



Well, first Cy.. Cy... Cy... It is amazing that mom wouldn't have sent you a book isn't it. Esp. when you hated our last two books and I quote: "Shangri Blah". And I'm sure mom didnt' know she would have to be responsible for you. As for those who didn't get a book, I beleive you got something else from Grandma. She stresses about gifts and I think appreciate should be expressed for what you did get and not what you didn't( even if it is in good fun)....;] Anyway, I'm just glad I got one. And I beleive Susan and Kristen aren't using theirs. You and Kristen are chummy aren't you Cy? The funny thing is that you keep posting...

I saw the movie when it was on Channel 8 a few weeks and ago and I must have been tired or something because what I remember from the movie and what I am reading are different. They don't describe the characters the same. It seems to me in the movie that they imply Mr. Tilney is bad, so that's what is in my head. Sorry to all of you who just "wha?!!!!!" out loud. So I am trying to forget the movie and focus on the book.
I think Catherine is just naive and is slowly coming out of it. She has never been an interest to any man so I think the fact that she doesn't like Mr. Thorpe is good. It shows she knows a bit about herself. I think Miss Thorpe is crazy. But at least Catherine has a friend.

I don't know why Mr. Tilney just left Bath without saying something to her about it earlier. She clearly likes him way more than he likes her.
I don't recall the conversations with Miss Tilney. What do they talk about. I hope one doesnt' talk about their kids and the other their gowns like Mrs. Allen and the other lady. Which is funny because they supposedly enjoy each others company when they dont' talk about anything the same.
Mr. Thorpe on page 44 when he has just met his mother, made fun of her hat and said it made her look like a 'witch' and then called his sisters 'ugly'.. no 'very ugly'. What a jerk. And then making her promise to spend all that time with him. Why is he being so crazy? Just because it's James' sister? I don't get what brought it on. Other than he thinks she's pretty.

Does Mr. Tilney thinks she's pretty? I don't know what he really thinks of her. All I know is that he knows about gowns.

I also think that Catherine can't be blamed for not getting the jokes. It says on pg. 60 that her family were plain matter of fact people who seldome aimed at wit of any kind. Eddie's family can only tell when I'm being sarcastic when they are looking at me. Talking to them over the phone or in an email (except Beth of course) is really hard. I have to say just kidding all the time. Even Eddie still over the phone I have to explain that I am just kidding. So it kinda just comes with the territory as it were.

I am excited to keep reading. Esp. now that I am trying to put the movie out of my mind. I still don't get her making fun of the times. I just don't know that much about it. But I can enjoy it on a level not as deep. That is what I like about Jane Austen. For people who know about things you can annalize and be all crazy. And for people like me, and dare I say Tegs, we can still enjoy it without all the indepth stuf. Maybe even Cylynn. or maybe she's not quite there yet.

There I've posted. I will keep reading until I fall asleep and try to catch up.

8 comments:

Tay said...

it's not right to make pregnant ladies feel guilty.
love
tay

srf said...

If you will check the reading schedule, you will see that I've added roman numerals in order to help you out there.

I have also been wondering what is behind Thorpe's attraction to Catherine. I guess he must think she is pretty and it seems like the Thorpes are under the impression that the Morlands are super rich, so that may be a factor as well.

I agree it says something that Catherine doesn't let Thorpe's attention reel her in. Although, I still have a problem with her being unable to apply the same judgment and discretion to Isabella.

srf said...

Also, I agree about the making pregnant ladies feel guilty thing. I did that to Tecia once as a joke and she had to run out of the room sobbing uncontrollably and it lasted for over an hour. I still hate myself for it.

Karen said...

Your comparison of the Morland family to the Jarmen family is a good one, I can see how the families are similar, and now the Morland family is more real to me.

Shyla, the roman numerals are so helpful, you are a X in my book.

Karen said...

Shyla-
about Catherine putting up with Isabella, I think Kalli hit on the head, a confident pretty person, who you brother recommends pays attention to you,who wouldn't like it. Catherine likes everybody, the world has not taught her that people manipulate and deceive, but we can see her natural strength come thru in her true and deeper friendship with Miss Tilney.

Kalli said...

In my defense, I did say that it didn't bother me that I didn't get the book... I was just trying to be empathetic. I am absolutely positive that I got the best Christmas present out of all of you. :)

Tecia said...

Shy- I don't remember that incident. An hour! Are you sure? I thought I looked for roman numerals: are they on the blog site?

Kalli/Tay: I felt bad after writing it. But come on, sympathizing with Cy... I do appologize, I just have to think of poor Grandma. She has feelings too.

Karen- I love you.. It's JarmAn. And we like them way better than the Morlands. All this bad talk about James, I just want to be clear :]

srf said...

What do you mean are the roman numerals on the blog site? Of course they are! I will refer you back to my comment where I stated the roman numerals were now with the reading schedule. You might have heard of the reading schedule before--it is in the upper left hand corner of the blog. If that still isn't good enough for you, here is a link to a website with a roman numeral table: http://www.yourdictionary.com/crossword/romanums.html
If that still isn't good enough for you, well frankly, I'm not really sure what else I could do.