Monday, February 25, 2008

Tilney: Good or Just Not as Bad?

As stated before, I like how Austen is using this novel as a vehicle to express her criticisms of prevailing societal attitudes, behaviors, and ways of thinking. I think she also points out flaws in the "good" characters. I like this. Clearly, Tilney is supposed to be the hero of the book and the readers are supposed to love him. Check. But, does it necessarily follow that Tilney is an ideal man?

During Catherine's walk with the Tilneys she feels upset over not knowing much about drawing. Austen takes this opportunity to say that a person wishing "to attach" should not feel shame over ignorance. 104. Ignorance brings with it the pampering of your desired's vanity (he will love you because your ignorance makes him feel smart). "A woman especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing any thing, should conceal it as well as she can." 104. If that isn't a pointed criticism of her contemporaries' thinking, I don't know what is. Austen goes on to say that a reasonable and well-informed man desires nothing more than ignorance in a woman. Personally, I feel quite a bit of disgust for that type of thinking. I have had guys tell me they want a wife that is smart enough to converse a little on most subjects and to help the kids with homework, but not too smart that they have any personal ambitions or that they are smarter than the husband. I would think that Austen's ideal, as is mine, is a partnership that does not depend on ignorance of one to pamper the vanity of the other. I think Jane Austen is placing value on the hunt for a true intellectual equal instead of someone with whom to feel superior or inferior intelligence-wise. Tilney, though better-mannered, more fun, and having more integrity than Thorpe, is choosing a partner that feeds his vanity rather than inspires and challenges his thinking; thus, he is not perfect and is not the ideal man. (I know everyone is going to disagree with my reading, I mean I could practically write your responses for you, but I think I am right, and I'm throwing it out there.)

Two random tidbits. First, the James and Isabella thing is just painful to read. But, I predict Isabella is going to get an offer of more money and dump James anyway. Second, Tegan would like me to say that her computer isn't working but she will post as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Tay said...

As great as Tilney is, Shyla, you are probably right. However, that just makes Cath. even more perfect for him as she fits the description you gave of the "ideal" woman. She knows enough about a lot of things to be interesting, but not more than him. But don't we all desire some sort of somebody who feeds our vanity somehow? hmm. I'm going to have to think about this one.

srf said...

Oh yes. We all want people to pamper our vanity, especially me. My problem is the whole prevailing thought of if a woman conceals her knowledge she'll have a much easier time attaching her man or that an ideal woman is intellectually inferior to her husband. We can be on the same intellectual level with someone and still get our vanity pampered plenty. For instance, I would argue (hopefully not to your dismay) that you and I are on the same intellectual level. And I would like to say that you are intelligent and that I learn a lot from you. There. Now didn't that pamper your vanity? And I managed it without acting like a helpless, ignorant person in need of extensive guidance and teaching. If Tilney's ideal woman is someone with inferior intelligence so that his big fat ego will never be threatened by a woman's intelligence then he is a contributor to the idea that women are less than men.

Karen said...

I am going to do as Shyla predicted and stick up for Henry and Catherine.

While I think Miss Austen is mocking the given ideas of the time, I think Henry finds Catherine's desire to expand her mind and thinking engaing and even credits her with "natural taste".

We need only read page 81 to know how Mr Tilney truely thinks of women, by his sisters account if not his own.

Kalli said...

Wow, Shy. You amazingly fed Tay's vanity in a way that also compliments yourself, having stated previously that you feel you are on the same intellectual level. I would have to agree that the best way to feed someone's vanity is to do it without any damage to one's own pride.