Friday, June 5, 2009

My Thoughts

So, I am slightly confused. In the introduction the author tells us that she just took Jim's writings and made the book out of those instead of writing her own memories. What does that mean? Or is it just the early/first years that she is taking from Jim? I will be extremely disappointed if Willa Cather did not actually write the book. I do find myself wanting to keep reading though. I love seeing the relationship between Antonia and Jim. I love Antonia's enthusiasum for learning(21-22). It is a horribly bleak little world they live in. After seeing the winters here now, I can imagine that they were a hundred times worse back then. It was hard to live back then. You worked your backside off for everything. No turning on the heater or air conditioner. I like tht about the book. It is real and tells you how it really was. And, after reading the story of Peter and Parvel, I don't know wether to hate them or to feel sorry for them. I mean, what choice did they have? And yet it seemed they didn't waste any time saving themselves. I like how they are truly Christians and help take care of each other. The Shimredas are very dependent on Jim and his family. I hope their burdens will soon be eased by the building of a house and the planting of a garden. Really enjoying the book so far!

1 comment:

srf said...

Tegan, don't panic. Willa Cather is really the author. The introduction is just a fictional part of the book. The author who Jim gives the story to is a fictional character just like everyone else. I think sometimes authors go through all those layers to give their book more credibly and make it seem more real to the reader.