Sunday, June 14, 2009

No sticking up for Mrs. Shimerda this week!!

Well, Mrs. Shimerda did bug me considerably this week. When I wrote last I hadn't read the last couple chapters where she practically just took the pot away from Grams and was prideful. But I still stuck with what I said that it was just hard times and she was adjusting. But not anymore. It's like when Heavenly Father gives you a blessing and instead of gratitude you give your own self the credit. No wonder the father did what he did. He was homesick for his friends back home. Him and Antonia and probably Yulka could have been happy here with the help of such good neighbors.

One of the things I really like about Gramps is when they did spat because Ambrosch is a very ungrateful and disrespectful neighbor, that he gave it time. He didn't try to mend it right away, he let things simmer down. I think he is a good judge of character and the best of men. His prayer was BEAUTIFUL that he gave at the services. Jim describes his grandfathers words as having a "peculiar force, they were not worn dull from constant use." I think he has charity. To give and give to a family that feels like they deserve his help and depend on him for it and never give thanks.

I too noticed like Tegan how Antonia had fallen into manly ways. I don't appreciate her very much this week. I wonder if she is as wonderful and captivating as Jim thinks she is or if it's mostly only him that is smitten with her.

I like the book a lot. But I still don't see what all the fuss is about. But the story is good. I like how Otto and Jake were true to the end. Those were the days, when people had integrity... well most people did. I like that they moved back to town. I think it was the right choice for them. I'm glad they were in a position to do that for themselves. Older folks should have comforts. Esp. those older folks.

1 comment:

srf said...

I also liked the grandfather's funeral prayer. The way I read it was that the grandfather was intentionally censuring Krajiek for cheating the Shimerdas. I hoped that after hearing that prayer Krajiek's conscience would be pricked enough that he would refund the Shimerdas some of their money and then leave them the hell alone. But I guess his greed got the better of his conscience yet again.