Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Town Life

So, Grandpa deceided to move to town! What is that all about? Breaking new ground, never ending work on the farm, and harsh winters must have been too much for the old man! It only took me 100 pages to appreciate how well Willa Cather writes. She really does just draw you in and you just keep wanting to find out what happens in Jim's life next. Antonia is not even talked about very much in these chapters. I am also curious why Jim is so struck with her, I guess we don't know that part yet.

It makes me very sad that Mr. Shimerda killed himself. Why did he do that? Okay, so the book does mention that "it was homesickness that had killed Mr. Shimerda"(pg 64). But it is terrible that he would leave his family in this condition. Did he not think about the future and how Antonia would have to work like a man to fill the gap? I like how Jim points out the differences between Antonia after she starts working. All her manly habits "Antonia ate so noisily now, like a man, and she yawned often at the table and kept stretching her arms over her head, as if they ached" (pg 77). I feel bad for Jim because you know that he likes and admires Antonia and he now he has to watch her becomes someone else.

I don't like Ambrosch or Mrs. Shimerada. I was wrong last week, it is not her condition that makes her the way she is, that is her personality. Dishonest, contentious, always clucking her tounge, proud. She is horrid and I don't think she is going to get any better. I hate to say it but I guess Shyla was right! I do like the Harlings and I think alot of good things will come from this family (except for the dad who seems to think he is very important!). Can't wait to see what happens next!

2 comments:

srf said...

As far as Jim's attachment to Antonia, let's not forget what the fictional author says in the introduction: "More than any other person we remembered, this girl seemed to mean to us the country, the conditions, the whole adventure of our childhood. To speak her name was to call up pictures of people and places, to set a quiet drama going in one's brain."

I can see how Antonia would represent all the good and exciting parts of Jim's childhood.

Tecia said...

that is true Shyla. I have wondered the same as Tegan.

Tegs, I feel the same as you do on this weeks reading.